Thursday, March 13, 2014

bebo.com

It's back! Bebo is back!

Hold on there... hold your horses narrator! Bebo is not "back", bebo is in fact dead...

Hmm you make a good point spooky other voice inside my head. However - and this is the scariest thing considering I am speaking to myself - bebo is in a kind of quantum quark state of being both dead and alive at the same time. Yes this schroedingers cat of a company is actually making a come back! Great!

Here is the story pasted word for word from the bebo website: 
bebo created by Michael and Xochi Birch

"Here’s a short history on the company:

  • 2005 - Bebo, an early social network was founded by husband-and-wife team Michael and Xochi Birch in January 2005 at their home in San Francisco.
  • 2005 (9 days after launching) - Bebo hits 1 Million Users.
  • 2005 - After numerous questions about why the name is Bebo, Michael makes up an answer (Blog Early Blog Often). Real answer? Bebo was short, snappy, and utterly nonsensical.
  • 2006 & 2007 - We built Bebo mobile, groups and the infamous whiteboard amongst other features.
  • 2008 - Sold to AOL.
  • 2010 - Sold to Criterion Capital.
  • Today - Bought back by the original Founders.
  • Tomorrow - We start re-inventing Bebo."
So I say that I am happy about this, well I am happy about this, now - why? I remember when I first heard of bebo. It was a long time ago at this point. I have fond memories of the "early" internet. Of course I was using the internet for years at that point as was my whole family. I don't know, it is the combination of things. Bebo coming back will be good for the internet. Google and facebook need another player. I love the way that bebo is rising like a phoneix out of the flame in which it crumbled into.

Michael Birch began bebo and ended up selling it for $850 million in 2008 to AOL. Michael bought it back reciently for $1 million.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Reality Of The News

There have been a few times where I have clicked on a news article only to realise that I have been hit with a paywall. I don't mean thi...